Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

nashy
Senior Contributor

What is PTSD?

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.40.44 am.png

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety disorder.

Some people develop PTSD after experiencing a traumatic event such as the impact of the Australian Bushfires. People affected may feel anxious and highly vigilant, and have intrusive thoughts and memories of the trauma.

With treatment, people with PTSD can make a full recovery.

You can read more about PTSD here.

This thread is a safe space to discuss the impacts of PTSD on our lives.

Let’s start by sharing one strategy that has helped us in managing PTSD Heart You can do so by pressing reply on this post Smiley Very Happy

6 REPLIES 6
YouAreNotAlone
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Re: What is PTSD?

Such an important conversation to have, @nashy.

I have PTSD responses quite frequently (e.g. when I hear sirens, see sirens, see smoke, see fog or even clouds, see a fire truck, smell smoke, even seeing the colours red and blue).

Something that helps me a lot is actually something I heard while watching Jessica Jones: name the streets you've lived on in anti-chronological order. I find it really useful because you do have to really stop and think about it. That moment really disrupts the anxiety, and by the time I've finished rattling off the 12 or so streets, I feel a lot calmer.

And breathing. Deep breaths in. Deep breaths out. As well as mindfulness, and listing the things I can see, hear, smell, touch, etc around me.

@YouAreNotAlone , @nashy 

This is interesting  @YouAreNotAlone , as I have not been in a bush fire   but with cyclones I know when we are getting  one due to the feeling . Clouds etc xx 

This strategy sounds so straight forward @YouAreNotAlone  Smiley Very Happy Thanks so much for sharing. The only one I have ever regularly used is the classic count backwards from 100 trick. When it comes to fight, flight freeze I have a fight response so I need a lot of intense energy reigned in. Might try the street trick next Heart

@Shaz51 This is challenging. I'd imagine you see the clouds and feel a lot of different things, but also need to remain focused on pragmatic steps forward. Sitting with you Heart

YouAreNotAlone

@Shaz51 I'd say it's probably the same feeling . . . that utter feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach with your body screaming at the danger that isn't present any more. It's definitely a really challenging thing to live with. Living through a cyclone must have been absolutely terrifying.

@YouAreNotAlone @Shaz51 Found this nice quick and easy trauma informed 5 min meditation Heart

YouAreNotAlone

@nashy thanks so much!!!! I'm going to save this link. And share it widely.

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: