Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MDT
Community Guide

Ham's hamlet of wisdom, knowledge and truth

This is a new little thread I am starting where I will share musings, lessons or freestyle verse/poetry to collate experiences I have, things I learn or similar. I'm not going to tag anyone but if you want then please feel free to. I want this to be like a book or a series of reflections that people can contribute to and share their life wisdom and lessons.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ham's hamlet of wisdom, knowledge and truth

Lesson 1:

"Envisage a situation in which you are able to keep all those in your life that you value close, or at least not too far"

"The consolation of a friend's wisdom, humour, knowledge or experience can quench the thirst of desperation that strikes us when we are at our weakest"

"Whether that person is online or in your real life, a family member or a friend or on the other side of the world matters not. What matters is that they are a person with their own conscious experience on this earth and that they are as real as you"

@MDT great thread idea!! 

It somehow bought Nikolai Tolstoy to mind. I'm.into philosophy. There have very simply been some great philosophers! 

I am reading Seneca lately @Powderfinger stoic philosophy is interesting I think 🙂

Do you have any favourites @Powderfinger ?

@MDT 

I'll check Seneca out. No favorites. Michaelangelo, Aristotle, Socrates, Nikolai Tosltoy, Dalai Lama, just to name a few. 🙂 I near in mind that all is truth, but live by my own. 

been thinking along the lines of life lessons                                                              this weeks personal lesson has been in regards to communication from loved ones      it goes like this in terms of messages that are read but not responded to                    they dont have to respond back every time I send a message cause when I see theyve read my message its the same as them listening to me and that means I can trust that they care,                                                                                                          dont get me wrong its even better when people respond but sometimes its good just to trust that they are listening to your message cause reading your message can be the same as if they are physically listening to what youve said and then you inturn trust them without expecting an instant response from them 

@MDT  There’s nothing better than a treasure hunt. Looking forward to the shares. Great idea.

Lesson 2:

"Remind yourself that you are not as stupid as your weakest self thinks"

"You are as smart and wise and your strongest self already knows"

I recall the time I was in the psych ward and the TV current affairs show was on - I think it was 60mins

They were talking about a nutcase cult in the USA were the members were encouraged to sever all communication with their family and friends and join the cult to find a higher meaning or purpose to their lives.

Eventually, the leader ended up holding hostages in his farm yard homestead.
The police were called and there was a giant stand off. It ended in a shoot out.

I remember the irony well.

There i was sitting in the psych ward because I was feeling suicidal and needed help. Yet there was a cult leader who amazed so many people who got pulled into a cult.

It made me think - who are the real psychologically challenged ?

It was just interesting to compare them

I also remember one of the consulting psychiatrists had a Yamaka (Jewish traditional cap). One of the other people in the ward told me he was a good psychiatrist. I asked her if he was Jewish and she didn't know but that his name was Israel. To which I said "yeah that's pretty Jewish"

Lol
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance