Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mumma1
New Contributor

Dexamphetamine Addiction

Hi

im new on here tonight. I have an extremely bright son, has been told by a psychiatrist he is bordering on genius. He was diagnosed as a child to have ADHD. He is now in his late 20's. He was in a relationship for 7 yrs and was engaged. He started, I believe, abusing dex about 4 yrs ago. I have seen three psychotic episodes due to this abuse and in Dec 2019 I had him sectioned. He became well, thanked me profusely but it was too much fir the fiancé and the relationship broke down and he has moved back home. It has been an absolute nightmare. He is not aggressive. I believe he is abusing dex again. He will stay awake 2-3 days on a row, sways/rocks his head almost constantly, always has his eyes on his phone. He will then sleep for anything up to 24hrs. He doesn't talk about anything except for god and what he himself has influenced over the years. For example him and his friends, when they were in grade 2, dug a city in the sand under the school playground and the playground nearly fell over. This did not happen. He started the fad of everyone cutting themselves and he introduced it using the wire spring in the wind up crayons. He will look at the tv abd start having a huge belly laugh....the other night it was at the football. I have tried talking to him but he just shuts me down. The issue is he is not 'bad' enough to call an ambulance or the police. He refuses to believe there is anything wrong. All of his siblings just think he is 'mad' and don't want him around them or their families until he gets help which he doesn't believe he needs. He does nothing all day every day except study the bible. He doesn't go out it do anything. We were letting him use our car but on 8 separate times he wanted to duck down the road to the shops and bought the car back 7 or 8 hrs later. We even reported the car stolen to police at one stage. So we have had to stop him

usung the vehicles as they are part of our business and vital for the work. Therefore he is stuck inside at all times. He is very smart abd has fooled the psychiatrist in to increasing his dose of dex. I don't know who his psychiatrist is and he won't tell me.  I can't have friends over because quite frankly he becomes very embarrassing and I have already defriended one friend because I caught her laughing at him behind his back. I know some of you will probably say she isn't a real friend if she laughs but I believe it is more an embarrassment laugh. I can't go to work because I am so concerned. My husband and I are at our wits end and we just sit back and watch him dwindle away to nothing. At the moment he had no life and no future. He is only awake at night. Abd the days he is awake he spends inside his room.  I've had enough and I don't want to sit back and watch him disappear into a nothing and as soon as the borders open I'm leaving. It's depressing me and I am walking on eggshells in my own home. Sneaking off to see his siblings....hiding our alcohol. He just takes what he wants when he wants it. We have stopped buying a carton of beer because he will just drink it all until it is gone. He doesn't ask he just does. The same with the food in the fridge/freezer....if he wants it he will eat it...regardless of whether or not I was going to use the item for dinner. He never cleans or even tidies up after himself. I have tried the tough love and kick him out but he refuses to go. He will have to be physically removed. Any advise will be appreciated....

1 REPLY 1

Re: Dexamphetamine Addiction

Hi @Mumma1 

That's an incredibly difficult position to be in. It sounds like you have done everything in your power to support him, but at the expense of your own health and wellbeing. He does seem quite unwell, but that doesn't mean you have to completely compromise yourself. I'm wondering if you and your husband are getting any professional support for yourselves? 

We are all concerned for you and are glad you have come to the forum to post about this. 

Warm regards, 

Mufasa 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance