Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CatGuy
New Contributor

Newbie - Alcohol Issues

Hi All,

New member here 

I wanted to reach out and hopefully get some suggestions for seeking some help locally in Adelaide 

I am a 34 year Male and have alcohol issues, this has been ongoing through my teen years and into my Adulthood

I have at times stopped for as long as 2.5 years ( Currently Day 6...)

My basic story is I was raised with Alcohol in a single parent household and it seems to have never left my side

I have a partner of 16 years who is a non drinker and have suffered for a long time because of my turbulant relationship with the P155

I want to stop and soemtimes I feel I can but I always seems to relapse after sometime, As I said its a turbulant relationship with the beers 

I have a succesful career as a Manager in a fast paced industry, A loving Partner and a beautiful home and I dont really know what triggers this behaviour in me as I have a lot to loose,

I generally drink Beer, mostly 6 a night but it isnt unusual for me to exceed this to to stupid amounts in a social siutaion, I am not agressive or angry, Ijust tend to get smashed for not particualr reason

I have no filter on the amount I drink and never stop

I am looking for guidance, I dont fancy AA meetings or online Zoom Parties

I dont confide well and definelty wouldnt in a group situation

I have spoken to my GP and they reffered me to a local service, However when they called me the councillor said at the rate I drink he wasnt concerned and directed me to an online forum ( which for most part is inactive anyway....)

Should I approach my GP and ask for a Care Plan and a referal to a pychologist to address this issue?

Any input would be appreciated as I dont really know where to start in this journey I need to undertake 

Many Thanks

Cat Guy

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Newbie - Alcohol Issues

I used to live in Adelaide and have similar issues @CatGuy lots rehabs have closed down there in last 10 or so years looks.
Prob best to talk to someone not sure psych would help
Find a starting point , someone on inside. Dont have to talk at AA just get info if you like
Whatever works for You
Take it Easy as they say

Hi @CatGuy and welcome,
I think others might be able to give more helpful and specific advice but just wanted to say it sounds like you're very clear that you want to seek help, which is great and a good position to be in.. and it's annoying that the service you were directed to was not helpful.
Getting a referral to a psychologist could be a really good thing to do, but I'm not super knowledgeable in this area so I don't know what else is available.
Anyway nice to meet you and hope you get some helpful responses 🙂

@CatGuy  Hey CatGuy and welcome. I have similar problems but have been alcohol free for at least four years now. I miss it I must admit but it makes me so sick when I drink I just decided one day to stop .... I can do that.... same with smoking just gave up. I think the thing is it is different for everyone. Your gp will be able to give you free psychologist sessions under the bombh package .... I would thoroughly recommend looking into it as it cant hurt. There is always a reason to be drinking so much ..... an under lying reason which needs to be teased out and a psychologist could help. Plus it wont cost you anything. greenpeax

Hey @CatGuy wondering how you have been travelling since your last post?

I would also recommend checking out this confidential service, they are open 24/7 and are really skilled at supporting people navigating the challenges of alcohol. You have stacks of self-awareness and intelligence I don't doubt that you will work through this and we're always here to hold space and listen as well Heart

@CatGuyI can relate, grew up with social booze which snuck into daily life.

Agree with all comments below, if you have a good GP talk to them about it and ask them for a referral to a social worker, counsellor or psych - whether it will help or not will depend on if you click with the person. My two bits.

AA is not for everyone I imagine but I enjoyed reading a book by Russell Brand (love him or hate him and nothing in between) which is his take on the 12 steps they follow in the program: https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Recovery.html?id=7gssDgAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description&red... called Recovery: Freedom from Our Addictions

Bez

@Bezak482 Agreed! Brilliant book 🙂 Not generally a fan of the bloke but liked the way he broke down recovery.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance