Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Are the voices me?

At approximately 4 am this morning I suddenly awoke and I heard this voice that kept saying "drink water." I hear voices due to what has been diagnosed as SZD, so this was nothing new, other than instead of being negative it seemed rather innocuous. I decided to heed their word and went to drink a bottle of water. Then when I was finished the voice said "drink more water." This pattern continued for the last hour, or so, where I have been obsessively drinking water. I've had racing thoughts as well, and one that I keep mulling over is what if due to my detached sense of self, I have been interpreting the voices I hear as "others" but in fact, they are my own internal monologue? At any rate, I need to go and drink more water. I just needed to express this for some reason. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Are the voices me?

Hi @Former-Member ...I don't know much about voices myself, but can you ask your pdoc?

I guess it's good to drink water, but it did keep you from sleep, and sounded a bit obsessive in that it didn't let up once you had drunk the water.  

Hope you managed to get back to sleep...

@Former-Member I love the way you reflected on this.  

I also agree with @NatureLover .

Both my parents were diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and so I had a lot of concern I would have the same label.  

Working with your thoughts and voices seems a wise idea, though the intensity and obssessiveness might need talking through with someone.

Smiley Happy

For me, drinking water is a big thing. 30 years ago, I was told my skin was extremely dehydrated getting ready for my brother's wedding.   I was in the midst of raising 3 small children and took it as a sign I ought to drink water, and made that a "go to" self care action, which became more, in trend, over the years, as everybody began carrying around drink bottles. So it felt like a really valid decision!  Working out how much leeway to give thoughts can be part of the key.  

Hi @Appleblossom It's funny how we often think self-care has to be big actions like going for a run or going to meditation classes but sometimes it is getting back to the basics like drinking more water. I really like that (running to fill up my water bottle now!)

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone for your input. Update: I ended up having a mixed episode of OCD/psychosis it would appear. I am not too sure about the technicality of how it all works. I ended up having a pretty rough few hours which ended up with me being taken to the EDU in an ambulance. Mental health eventually spoke with me and managed to calm me down. We have a game plan as to what the course of action is going forward. We are not looking at this as a step backward, just a little bump in the road. A lot of stressors have more than likely set this off and it can not be narrowed down to one particular thing. 

Thanks again for your input! 

I really like how you said you're looking at it as a bump in the road. Recovery is never a straight path is it? Happy you're out of the hospital and have a plan in place. I hope you are starting to feel a little better 😊

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member @just a little word of caution @HappyCastle @Appleblossom @NatureLover  drinking too much water or any liquid in a short period of time can seriously damage the kidneys. So glad you reached out and received help too Pax1741 take care💧💧💦

Thats right @Former-Member 

So many things are a matter of the right balance, not too little not too much. 

More is not always better.

Smiley Happy

@Former-Member 

Smiley Happy

Gday HC, how's it going?

To answer the question in your post's heading, yes, the voices are you. If all that is happening is that you are telling yourself to drink more water, then have a think about things, and if you're thirsty, have a drink. If not, then don't.

Head voices (at least in my experience) can be a lot more critical, abusive and encouraging of way more disruptive, destructive and detrimental behaviour than what you're being told.

Maybe your head's just letting you know that you're thirsty..? If not, then just practise ignoring it.

Take it easy,

Billy

@Former-Member wrote:

drinking too much water or any liquid in a short period of time can seriously damage the kidneys. 

I didn't actually know that, @Former-Member , so thanks 🙂

@Former-Member  sorry to hear you had a rough time, ending with the ambulance to the ED. Hoping for a quick bounce back after this bump for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance