Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Somethingā€™s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

How do you come down from triggers?

I am not exactly challenging you guys, here, am I? šŸ˜‚. It is a very basic question, but I thought I'd get your thoughts.

I saw a promo for an upcoming episode of Home and Away, and it had a number of similarities to how my break-up unfolded. It made my heart drop to the floor... I saw a McDonald's ad last year that reminded me of the worst part of the whole experience, and the point where I knew it was kind of my own fault.

In the hour or so since, I have been feeling really anxious and getting vivid suicidal thoughts. I'll eventually get out of it this time, but do you have any general tips for dealing with triggers?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How do you come down from triggers?

Hi @Former-Member ,

sounds like a really triggering time for you. I think it is great you have reached out here on the forums and to see if any others have  strategies or tips that work.

Also please remember to reach out to crisis services such as Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 if you need to.

@Former-Member  I find sometimes talking to someone either in rl or on the net really helps. Sometimes it doesnt sometimes it only makes the triggering worse .....

Hi @Former-Member . 

So sorry you are experiencing this. I hope you can find solutions that work for you. 

You might find talking to someone helps, or online chatlines maybe. 

When similar things happen to me, I experience some very detailed PTSD flashbacks, usually coming at the most inopportune, and unexpected times, there's a few things I have learned help me. 

For me breathing regularly and in a controlled fashion is probably the most important way important to managing the come down from a trigger event. There's a breathing pattern called 'square breathing', or sometimes 'box breathing' that once learned is really useful to calm and even get to sleep. 

A shower, playing with water, hosing the garden, stuff like that has always been something I can do to settle the sensations I'm left with too. Even washing up can be a playing in water event for me. 

I will admit that cleaning long ago developed into a coping skill for me. I focus on doing something that will have a type of productive outcome, it's even better if it's a creative type of task. I may cry while I'm doing the task, but that can be therapeutic too. 

If you have any 'making' type skills, maybe that would be useful to help shift your focus florenceforty. 

@Former-Member 

I hope your anxiety and arousal levels are starting to settle.

I think it is a great question.

It is true that triggers can come from a wide range of things. Also the degree of triggering varies.

Walking often helps me.  There is no one fix all for me.  I have practised many things from  meditation, tai chi, yoga and christian prayer, sacred singing. Ultimately understanding and a lot of time doing healing things have been necessary for me.  There was a stage if I was triggered it would take at least a week to come down.  It all depends.

Hi @Former-Member 

By reaching out and asking about how to deal with triggers and talking/writing about it is a good step in itself.   Even though being new to this forum I know it's a place to safely share experiences when challenged with mental health issues so keep reaching out when you need I think. 

If you ever feel unsafe seek professional assistance. 

Break ups can be very hard.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance