Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

No space for me.

I don't know where to post this... so I just thought here will do, I'm fine, I'm actually really well, so maybe this isn't the best sub topic, not sure.

I don't really feel like I have a place anywhere. hmm, how do I put this... I don't have anywhere I belong to or I can be myself at, that isn't my own family.  I love my family, so don't get me wrong but I think everyone needs something that is just  theirs. I used to be a part of an online community for a long time and that's what it was, a space that was just for me and I could do what I liked with it. I kind of left that for here, and this isn't it... just doesn't do it for me. I don't feel part of anything here and it's all a bit weird to me. 

So now I'm not sure. I think it's really important that everyone has that space or solo activity, especially with having young kids like I do, I quit footy this year so lost that connection, I have found something like an online community really accessible and anonymous etc, but I don't have anything like that anymore. 

Hmm. I am just not sure at the minute. Does anybody have any ideas? 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: No space for me.

Hi @ArraDreaming 

yeah I kinda get what you mean I think

I've found the forums here  useful and people are very supportive... but omg live chat would be so much better.. to be able to vent in real time without having to wait days (sometimes) for a response.

The site is quite clumsy in the way we have to tag each other to reply but after many months I'm used to it now. I suggest you persevere, and look at some of the general social threads and dive on in.

xoxo

Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Hi @ArraDreaming . I think I might know you from the other community, but we don't have to go into that if you don't want to.

If I'm thinking about the same place, I was also there for a really long time and it was a big part of my life before I had to leave a few years ago. I found it really challenging to find a place for myself after I had to leave, and still haven't really found one yet. I missed the people there (including the person that I think you might be... bit awkward lol) and would sometimes go back just to read how everyone was doing.

I also found that I couldn't interact here in the same way. There I enjoyed supporting other people AND felt like I got supported by the mods/admins which was what enabled me to provide support to peers. Here the other members just don't seem to understand me the way I felt understood at the other site (no offense intended to anyone else reading this - I know I don't communicate my distress in a way that "plays well with others" so it's a me-problem), the role of the mods is just copy/paste warnings or post removals, and as a result I just can't be there for anyone else.

In terms of ideas... Some things I've tried or had suggested to me:

- discord chat for a podcast that I liked (I found it quite good until the podcast got "too popular" and started focusing on things I'm not interested in)

- reddit mental health topics (I haven't tried it)

- koko (which is an anonymous single-interaction thing that used to be running, then stopped, and looks like it's trying to start up again... I've seen similar things advertised lately like blahtherapy and 7cups but I've never tried them)

- in-person groups for things like rockclimbing, a band, tabletop gaming (haven't tried it because #socialanxiety)

Hi @TheVorticon, I'm sorry to hear of the difference in your experiences. You're welcome to email the team directly at team@saneforums.org if you'd like- it's really important to us that our members feel supported and we'd love to hear more from you about how we might be able to improve. All the Best, 

TideisTurning

@Last-Lament I'm just not sure, but then I feel stupid about wanting that for myself 

@TideisTurning for me, it's nothing worse making mention of, nothing bad, just different 

@TheVorticon Haha well... you got me. 
I don't know who you are though, it's right there, but I just can't figure it out. Anyway, yeah it was a huge part of my life, I left and then went back and then left again only really recently, it was the right time for me, but now I'm seeking an alternative and I don't know where to look. I also feel kind of silly for even wanting it. Thanks for your suggestions I have had and still do have some in person things, footy was a big one for me, but I guess I want a space where I can share whatever I want to whoever I want and just talk, just say I how feel haha, like, I can't do that at a face to face group? I don't think it would go so well if I just started rambling on about random shit at the footy club one day. 

There is also no memes here 

Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance