Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Stigma// Tues 14 May, 7pm AEST

TT LE Tile.jpg

SANE Australia has just launched a video campaign to promote its StigmaWatch program (check it out here) and encourage the public to report stigmatising content that they see in the Australian media. StigmaWatch was established back in 1997 to promote responsible reporting of mental illness and suicide in the Autralian media.

We thought it would be a great time to have a chat about stigma. For the first hour of this event we will have special guest @StigmaWatch  with us to chat about stigma in the media. For the second hour @Lauz  will lead a discussion on stigma more generally in our lives, how it affects us and how we approach it.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

126 REPLIES 126

Re: Topic Tuesday // Stigma// Tues 14 May, 7pm AEST

Just an update to those that have hit support so far on this event @Determined @Zoe7 @Adge @eth @Former-Member @Former-Member @BlueBay @Teej 

The video campaign as mentioned in the blurb for this event launched yesterday! Check it out here.

If you haven't already, hit the support button on this event to get a reminder on the night! Looking forward to a great discussion around stigma 🧡

Hello and welcome all! @Former-Member @eth @CheerBear @Former-Member @Owlunar @Former-Member @Determined @BlueBay @Zoe7 @Adge @Teej 

Tonight’s Topic Tuesday is going to be super interesting. For tonights event, we will have our special guest @StigmaWatch with us for the first hour for a community discussion around stigma in the media. Mental illness and suicide are important issues for media to cover.  When reported responsibly, the media can help reduce stigma surrounding mental illness and raise awareness of suicide prevention activities.  However, research shows when mental illness and suicide are reported irresponsibly, media stories can do ham. I will be posing questions to both the community and stigma watch in this first hour.

At 8pm, I will then be leading us on to continue to chat about Stigma in our lives more broadly!

*Just a quick note as well, please be wary when sharing information about stigmatising events or content, be sure to share without explicit or triggering descriptions. For more info on this check out our guidelines.

Without further ado, I want to welcome @StigmaWatch ! To start us off could you tell us about the StigmaWatch program? While @StigmaWatch answers that, can everyone else let us know what brought you here tonight?

Hi @Lauz 🙂 It's great to be here with you all tonight!

SANE Australia’s StigmaWatch program was established in 1997 to promote responsible reporting of mental illness and suicide in the Australian media.  We monitor and respond to reports of inaccurate or inappropriate stigmatising portrayal of mental illness and suicide in the media.

The Australian Press Council and Mindframe’s reporting guidelines inform all of the work that we do.  We work with journalists across the country to provide constructive feedback and advice on how to responsibly report stories about mental illness and suicide.  We also raise the profile of media that fairly and accurately portrays mental illness.

Hi @Lauz  I’m interested to chat tonight because I feel there is still stigma on mental health and especially BPD which I have. I tend to not tell anyone about my BPD. 

What really brought me here tonight is the stigma I found at work around Mental Illness @Lauz and the adverse affects it had on me at the time. Also interested in the way MI is portrayed in the media and the wider effects that has on the way the wider community think about MI.

How do you reduce or get rid of the stigma that BPD sufferers are “attention seekers”

Hi @BlueBay and @Zoe7 - so glad to have you with us and to bring discussion around your interests here!

Hi @BlueBay and @Zoe7 🙂

hey @BlueBay - we are going to approach stigmatising ideas and thoughts a bit later in tonights event when we look at everyone's own experiences and explore. Hold on to that question and thought though for then 😊👍🏼

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance