Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Recognition for the work that carers do

Hi @Former-Member,

I am working hard at not hanging out on the forums too much and I just managed to go all weekend without logging on - well done me!

I live very close to a river. I used to live right next to the beach but I headed inland a bit when I bought my own home due to crazy Sydney houseprices!!! I would never go further from the ocean than I am now. Sometimes I get an overwhelming urge that I have to get to the ocean. Where I am, I can jump in the car and be at the ocean in an hour.

Yep, I practice my violin every day. The lessons are super expensive so even when I'm feeling horrendous, I make sure I practice. I'm learning the suzuki method - are you familiar with it? All the pieces are classical pieces...although very basic classical pieces at the level I'm currently at. Smiley Happy

I haven't been able to get enthused about cooking. I would LIKE to be more interested in it, but I just can't get into it. I do like a hot Indian curry though! Smiley Happy

I hope things are travelling ok in your world. I'm plodding along - just keeping on swimming. Smiley Happy

Hi @Phoenix_Rising

Well done you, I too am trying to limit time on the forums too

I saw something on tv a long time ago about the Suzuki method of learning music and at the time thought it made sense. Can't remember too much about it though. Great you can knock out a tune. I have a cello collecting dust, was never any good at playing it, perhaps it might have been different if I had learned the Suzuki way.

Have you a pet? We have two whippets, they are indoor dogs. K9 hot water bottles.

Have you any garden at your place?

Things here are steady.

Darcy

Hi @Former-Member,

Oh that is super cool that you started learning the cello. Do you think you'll ever get back to it? My violin playing super helps me with my big feelings. The cost of lessons is frighteningly expensive, but I figure it is worth it because of how much my violin playing helps me.

I own three cats and one dog. My dog and one of my cats live across the Rainbow Bridge...but I still identify as owning them. The mere inconvenience of death doesn't change the fact that they are mine, we are family, and we stick together. Smiley Happy

I have a small garden. I super wish I had a bigger one. Playing in the dirt helps me to feel calm. Smiley Happy

I am glad that things are steady at your place. I just keep swimming. Smiley Happy

Hi @Phoenix_Rising

Don't know if I will get back to the Cello. I wasn't very good at it.

I am allergic to cats but I believe that their purr is a wonderful thing.

The garden has probably been my calm although it has been on hold as Mr Darcy had a major crisis. I find it particularly satisfying if we have an abundance that we can share, whether it be fruit, veg, seedlings or flowers.

Am tired, but grateful for many things.

Darcy

hello @Phoenix_Rising @Former-Member @Shaz51

Thank you.

I sit on both sides of the forum.

The article is interesting from the point of view that they have put monetary value to the role of carers. This is unheard of and also not thought about in the general public.

Carers are often treated with disdain as though they have some contagious illness. Many carers do not have much spare cash, if any to spend on themselves. Their whole life revolves around the care of their loved one. Carers of people with a physical disability now have more respect from the public. So much has been done to get to this level of awareness.

Mental illness still lags behind in the health system and therefore follows through to everyday life. Stigma is still there. There are noticeable efforts to change this. However it is not those of us affected with illness, or caring for someone with mental illness who need to change.

Change needs to start with talk within the home, family, with friends, speakers at schools, the hub of learning. The next generation and those thereafter will see some change if we continue to stand for our values and our loved ones.

I would like to see health providers be accountable. Those of us who spend vast amounts of money on private health funds to have cover for hospitalisation within an affilitated private hospital would like some action. If we start with the private health funds first they in turn will ask for more funding from the government. The government rules how many beds, staff available within the private health fund.

Let the health funds offer training courses to mental health workers. Special health funds for mental health. Special wards within public hospital system for mental health. Not having to go through the general emergency departments. The public do not want us there. The staff do not want us there. We do not want to be there. So let us be the ones to start change.

Let us go to our local members of parliament; the health ministers in our state; the oppostion party in our state; the health minister in federal government

This forum has a section on stigma and stories from people with symptoms of mental illness.

We ourselves can keep reading and listening to their stories and remind ourselves that we all can do our part in change.

Hi @Phoenix_Rising
Thought of you today. Saw a saying if St Francis of Assisi
"A cat purring on your lap is more healing than any drug in the world, as the vibrations you are feeling are of pure love and contentment"

Happy Easter @Phoenix_Rising

Happy easter to you also @Former-Member. Smiley Happy

BTW, over in lived experience Forum Land, we have Friday Feast on Friday evenings. Would you like to come? It's super fun and I'm anticipating LOTS of virtual chocolate tonight. Smiley Happy

That is a geat idea @Phoenix_Rising xx

lovely to see you there tonight @Former-Member, @Former-Member

hello @Shaz51

Thank you for noticing me bobbing up and down.

Am feeling a bit lost at the moment. Not fitting in anywhere. I believe that i am still adjusting to being out of hospital. Adjusting to all the changes happening all around me, out of my control. Also adjusting to how I let those changes affect me. I am managing me if that makes sense. I am so deep laugh.

how are you and Mr Shaz?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance