Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: 3 Books that have made an impact

That is so often the case @Former-Member, I sometimes avoid the movie versions of books for this very reason...it's nice to hold onto the mental landscape a book creates and to not have that "Hollywooded".

I'd like to say I agree @Rhye but I think Harry Potter and lord of the rings did well both in book and movie - didn't read them, but watched them both. I guess it's the quality in the acting and the budget and the directing that makes a difference 

@Former-Member Oh my, yes of course! Particularly the Harry Potter franchise, that was beautifully transferred to film. 

Love this @Rhye Reading is such great self-care.

I’m not able to sit with a book these days but I really enjoy listening to books on Audible.

My three..

When Breath Becomes Air- Paul Kalanithi 

A deeply heartbreaking and moving read. This book came to me via a university assignment and at the time I wished it didn’t, and I almost avoided reading it, but it ended up being quite cathartic.

First We Make The Beast Beautiful- Sarah Wilson  

I really loved how this was written. I found it so relatable but the main thing I took from it was accepting anxiety as a part of who she is. It’s not overly positive, which I like! It’s matter of fact but it’s about embracing it and thinking of it as a superpower. It helped me learn a lot about my own anxiety.

Lovelands- Debra Campbell  

This one is all about relationships. It’s written by a psychologist and talks about how her early relationships have impacted her relationships throughout her life.  She talks a lot about ‘fault lines’ and how our challenges in life make us who we are. It forced me to be kinder to myself.

Thanks for starting this... some great reads for me to check out over the holidays 😊

Also from the SANE blog nine-great-books-about-living-with-mental-illness 

You are most welcome @NatureLover. It was hard limiting them to just 3, so feel free to add more, or less...whatever you'd like to bring to the book table Smiley Happy

Sometimes we don't have the capacity to turn a page, stick with the concentration involved in reading, or a myriad of other reasons that makes reading inaccessible for many. Audible is such a great way to enjoy books @Paperdaisy.

Your first recommendation sounds incredibly moving, and I can imagine life altering. Thank you for sharing with us 💙

I've been meaning to read Sarah Wilson's book, reframing anxiety as a superpower you say? That's enough to move it up the summer reading list! Side bar – I met Sarah Wilson at a book signing once, she was SO lovely. You know the kind of person whose soul kinda radiates outwards? That's her.

Lovelands sounds like a must read too, I think we could all do with some guidance in the relationships department once in a while 🌞

Thanks @Rhye @Paperdaisy  my first book is a collection of poems and... I don't even know what you would call them, just short things I have written over the years. 

When my world started to fall apart about 20yrs ago, I found writing to be really therapeutic. It was a release. I kept a lot of things hidden inside and I guess writing allowed me to tell someone even though at the time I showed no one what I had written. I then found an audience who were walking a similar path to me and they really liked what I had written and encouraged me to keep doing it. 

My second book, I'd really just like to write my story in full, which at the moment is ever evolving and continuing- so I'm in no real hurry. I'm finding this much more challenging. There are so many different ways that it can be done- I've started it many times! But now that I have a title, I feel a bit more confident in which approach to take. 

I really believe that there is a lot of power in sharing your story. Sharing how you have overcome what you have been through. I think when you can get to a place of not being ashamed of where you have been you can inspire others to be courageous and to do the same. You just never know when your story will be someone else's survival guide!

The ECT stuff @Rhye I don't really know. I've tried to research it, not recently though, so not sure what kinda data there is now. They are doing stuff to your brain though, so surely it could have some kind of impact?! ECT was mentioned to me again this year and I said no way. No criticism on those that do have it, it certainly has its place and some people really need it and it helps. It did help me, but the long term stuff I don't appreciate. 

I really believe that there is a lot of power in sharing your story. Sharing how you have overcome what you have been through. I think when you can get to a place of not being ashamed of where you have been you can inspire others to be courageous and to do the same. You just never know when your story will be someone else's survival guide!

Well said @Bow and couldn't agree more. 

I have noticed your poetic writing and it's really beautiful. If that helps you, you should keep it up. It may also inspire and help others, as you have said.. 💝

I haven’t met Kim @Paperdaisy as O only discovered her books in the past year when I borrowed the first 2 from the library. I bought Girl on the Ward directly from Kim so I’ve spoken to her via email, We sure have a lot in common,

If I described Island Wife in one word it would be “RESILIENT”. Judy Fairbairn has a blog on Facebook.

I meant to tag @Rhye in this post

Have a lovely day. 💖

You just never know when your story will be someone else's survival guide!

So true @Bow! When I had my first run in with less than perfect mental health, I found myself turning to stories of those who had overcome their battle with depression etc. I think now I'm more drawn to stories of how we can live with it, rather than overcome it, the resilience of living your life despite the struggle, if that makes sense?

It sounds like you might be writing a memoir? There are so many ways to tackle getting out our own narrative, I think that was the initial stumbling block for me...thoughts of "am I doing this right?" won out. One trick a writing coach shared with me was to have a regular writing routine, so same place and time each day where you just dump anything that is top of mind. Apparently this helps to cut through to the central point of your story and from there the rest becomes rounds of editing. I'm certainly no expert though so would love to hear how you tackle things like writers block in your practice.

As for the ECT, I have spoken with people like yourself who found it really beneficial for symptom relief, which is amazing, but it's a shame the longer term impacts have hung around with you. It sounds like you're finding ways to work with that i.e. writing on your own terms, which is really amazing and is truly a strength 💙

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance