Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@Former-Member wrote:

@NatureLover ,  there will always be challenges given the nature of the disorder, we do what we can to manage them as best we can and seem to have a good system going at present.

I'm glad to hear. @Former-Member 

How long ago was Mr Darcy's acute period? Do you think there were less resources around for carers then?

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@Former-Member I am sorry to hear of the stress caused by managing the journey alongside Mr Darcy, but am really warmed to hear you've organised counselling. There's a recurring issue of carers not accessing their own support, and I would love to see addressed more by the wider mental health sector. Thank you for sharing your story, and great to hear there's a safety plan in place. Did he create that himself alongside you? Heart

@NatureLover Thanks so much for sharing 😊 Brain fog, no doubt hard to manage so much for the person experiencing depression but also the person supporting. Can be hard to cut through that fog for both parties 😞 I did check out the beyondblue resource! Very cool 🙂  Little phone based safety plan.

@NatureLover @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Smc @Zanylady And everyone else reading along 🙂 Thank you so much for contributing to the discussion around SANE's new You Are Not Alone resource for Carers. I really hope the event as well as the resource itself serve as a good pillar if ever things are getting tricky in supporting a loved one attempting to end their life. This community is always here too, and if anyone would like to share their story, you can do so by clicking here and clicking "New Discussion". We're here to listen Heart

Huge shout out to our incredible guides @NatureLover and @Shaz51 who have done an absolutely stellar job of providing their own tips and strategies as our co-hosts of this event Smiley Very Happy You are both wonderful - 

tenor.gif

Will keep this thread open for further discussions crew! Enjoy debriefing 🙂

hello @Former-Member , @NatureLover 

finally got my internet back 

@Former-Member, @NatureLover , @Former-Member , @Appleblossom@Smc 

thank you @Former-Member  and @NatureLover , been a great week 

shame my internet crashed today until now 

with my mr shaz , I used to have to try leave suggestions here and there at certain times  because he would not talk 

try to find the right time and the right thing to say was hard 

after the breakdown and another hospital stay , medication changes , things started to change which felt very strange 

now mr shaz thinks there are other promblems arising now 

@NatureLover  Acute period started in 2011 but was critical mid 2013 until early 2016, his last attempt was in December 2015. I  cannot remember when I accessed the support from Wellways but possibly in 2014, I did not link in with Carers Australia until after his attempt perhaps in early 2016. I did the Wellways snapshot class in 2017. I did not consider myself a carer as such until after Mr D's last attempt, viewing myself more as his wife/family so did not look into what carer resources were available. 

@Former-Member  Present stress is from Mr D's pancreatic cancer diagnosis, not so much his mental health diagnosis. We are hopeful with a good response to treatment he will have years not months.  Safety plan was done with his case worker with both myself and Mr Darcy present.

@Shaz51 wrote:

with my mr shaz , I used to have to try leave suggestions here and there at certain times  because he would not talk 

try to find the right time and the right thing to say was hard 

@Shaz51  - how difficult, especially if Mr Shaz wouldn't talk 😞

(Glad you have internet back!)

@Former-Member wrote:

@NatureLover  Acute period started in 2011 but was critical mid 2013 until early 2016, his last attempt was in December 2015. I  cannot remember when I accessed the support from Wellways but possibly in 2014, I did not link in with Carers Australia until after his attempt perhaps in early 2016. I did the Wellways snapshot class in 2017. I did not consider myself a carer as such until after Mr D's last attempt, viewing myself more as his wife/family so did not look into what carer resources were available. 

Oh gosh, that's a long critical period, @Former-Member ... 😞  I'm glad you had that support for some of the time, anyway.

I think it's good that this You Are Not Alone resource lists what supports there are for carers, helping the information to get out.

Thank you @Former-Member  @NatureLover  @Smc 

@Appleblossom  @Smc  @Zanylady 

download.jpeg

images (4).png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance