Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi, Rebel here.

I identify as lesbian, pronouns she/her.

In my opinion poor mental health for me starts with low self worth, self esteem, fear of coming out, early years drug use.

Im middle aged, I guess during my early years I struggled with identity , followed by the law condeming homosexuality. 

In my wiser years I still battle with being categorised. Im quite feminine in looks and because of that I seem to not fit into the mould of what a lesbian should be. This means I get questioned by the hetronorm and the homonorn. Its strange really. I have felt like I have always battled to prove my worth to everyone. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi there @Adge thank you so much for sharing this. Apologies I should preface absolutely everyone is welcome in this conversation. You're safe and welcomed in this chat Heart

Thank you for sharing you identify as trans-female inside but are physically and socially male. It sounds like you have deep awareness and a long journey with this. I just want you to know we are always here to listen - feel free to chat some more tonight or start a thread when you're less tired. This forum is a safe space and we celebrate and advocate for the LGBTQIA+ community. Sitting with you 🌸

Hi @Adge  my old friend.  Thankyou for your brave sharing here.

@Adge 

I feel with you. I'm in your age group.

@Fluttershy1 Amazing that you've come to this realisation, I hope it brings you relief to know more about who you are. You're right, it's totally normal to be LGBTQAI!! It's the most natural thing in the world. It can be really hard when we're part of a cis-heteronormative society, where one way of being is considered 'default'. 

@Former-Member Short answer re: sub forum. Yes I think there's absolute potential for a space dedicated to LGBTQIA+ within the SANE Community. We actually have some brainstorming happening around this now within the team -  but would love to hear any/as many of your ideas via team@saneforums.org too @Former-Member  🏳️‍🌈

Thanks @nashy @eth

In answer to previous question - Social isolation & Stigma (even fear of violence), are major impacts on MH for Trans-identified people.

Possibly similar for others also.

Adge

Hey @Adge  - funny thing is that I've always 'read' you as female! Thanks for sharing. And in my opinion, it's never too late to begin your journey, if you want to take it. It's yours of course, so you do what is right for you. 

In my experience, the trans community is one of the most caring and welcoming groups of people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

That's great @nashy  😃 

@Jynx 

I get the gender-floaty as well, maybe not from a gender perspective but because I have some dissasociative issues going through shifts in how I feel is kind of "normal" and it's highlighted how you can be a lot of different parts and be whole at the same time.

Will say though in terms of sexuality it's been a positive journey, I actually got "threatened" about being outed as a lesbian when I was younger and was petrified about it...now I honestly think I'd just laugh in their face but I do remember feeling very concerned about fitting in before I had a better idea that people identify in so many different ways - hopefully it's better for kids these days

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance