Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

Really struggling with sleep

Only recently got our two young kids to sleep mostly through the night apart from maybe once or twice, and to be honest the 4 yo has only ever slept through the night a small handful of times in life up until now he’s been more challenging than the baby but anyway so back to me 

now I can’t sleep 
I just can’t no matter what I do no matter what sleep routine or anything like that I try and I am just awake all night and it’s been like this all week I haven’t slept in a few days 

what can I do 

93 REPLIES 93

Re: Really struggling with sleep

Lack of sleep is the worst @ArraDreaming, I really feel for you. It must be tough with small children too.

It's something I've experienced quite a bit over the years and can make getting through the day feel like trudging through wet concrete. I wish I had THE answer for you, though I suspect it's really dependent on your personal circumstances because so many things come into play with insomnia i.e. medication, mental health, stress, room temperature etc.

First up, I would speak to your GP if and see if there is anything they can do explore why you're not sleeping and help find some solutions. 

Here are some of the things that have worked, to varying degrees of success, during times of sleeplessness for me:

• A bedtime routine – going to bed at the same time each night and having a wind down ritual an hour before bed i.e. no screens after 9pm, a warm bath or shower, reading a book for half an hour etc
  • Chamomile tea – apparently it helps, it did a little for me
  • Breathing exercises – there are so many Youtube videos to help aid sleep, they help to relax your breath and your body
  • Think of a dreamscape – this is the one that works the best for me ... I will close my eyes and think of what it would look like if I won the lottery; where would I buy a house, what would I put in it, who would I donate to etc. I think this works because it distracts me from my worry thoughts and before I know it I'm catching zzz's

There are so many tools out there to help with sleep so I'm sure there'll be forumites who can share some tips with you. 

@Shaz51 @HenryX @flybluebird @Eve7 @MDT @ShiningStar @AussieRecharger @Molly22 @greenpea @Appleblossom if you have any tips to share here they would be most welcome 😊

Best of luck chasing that elusive sleep @ArraDreaming!

Rhye ☘️

Hello @ArraDreaming and thanks for the tag @Rhye 

Lack of Sleep is awful and I suffered from insomnia for years after my h died often going into work after no sleep at all.

Finally I discussed it with my GP who eventually gave me antidepressant meds which have been amazing.

I tried all the calming routines, counting sheep, talking to the shepherd, dark room, going to bed at the same time, rain forest music, camomile, alcohol...you name it I tried it so for me, the meds have worked wonders.

Talk to your GP as a starter and take care. 💜

@ArraDreaming Not sleeping is the worst.  I'm right in the middle of that myself right now.

I have a massive history of not sleeping.  It's a very common issue with people with autism.  And I have tried all the things, watched all the YouTubes, read all the books, done everything there is to do.  @Rhye has made some great suggestions.  I might just add something to it.

Declutter the bedroom.  Use the bedroom only for sleep (and the other obvious thing).  Don't watch TV in bed.  Don't use your laptop in bed, or work in bed, or use the bedroom as some kind of multi-purpose room.  The bedroom is for sleep.  Train your mind to understand that once you go to bed, it's sleep time.

This doesn't always work.  As someone with ASD, I was put on melatonin, as that hormone is often lacking with many people.  Personally it didn't work for me either, but I understand it does help many.

If you do go to the doctor, just be very careful what they might prescribe.  My own experience is that doctors tend to be prescription happy.  What I was given was very strong and I had a bad reaction to it, and I understand it can also be very addictive.  I was on another form of medication for 18 months which worked really well for sleep.  I loved that side of it.  But it also worked as a powerful appetite enhancer and I am currently in the process of loosing the extra weight that I gained whilst taking it.  It's also extremely hard to get off of and took weeks of hard yards to get free of it.

Always go natural if you can.  There's some great sleep tracks on YouTube.  And find a good meditation app, that's helps me a lot too. 

Hello @ArraDreaming , @Rhye , @Eve7 , @Molly22 

@ArraDreaming, some of the suggestions offered by Rhye, Eve and Molly have also worked for me.

Possibly, another way of approaching your situation, or that of anyone else, is to consider what is actually happening for you in the time leading up to and including your own regular sleep time.

From your description of your own situation, I would think that you may have established a pattern of being in a constant state of preparedness/arousal for attending, in particular, to your 4 yo. A situation that appears to have been a major influence on your sleeping capacity and pattern for at least that time and possibly earlier, during your wife's pregnancy. This has been compounded by the need for attention to your younger child. It may be possible that the 4 yo old is actually sleeping better now, because of the presence of your younger child, who seems to have established a regular sleep pattern more quickly than your 4 yo. Unfortunately, leaving you out of that loop, it appears.

Circadian rhythms {see Addendum below} can also be disrupted by external influences and take time to 'recalibrate' and re-adjust when those influences become less intrusive.

In your description, you have not indicated whether you are on your own, or have support with the children, given by a spouse/partner/companion. What sort of support, if it exists, is contributed?

Did you ever have trouble sleeping before the arrival of the children?

Based on the information you have offered, it appears that lack of sleep is definitely a significant concern. It is common knowledge that having sufficient sleep, or lack of, has effects on everything we do during the day. However, the reason for lack of sleep may be addressed simply by re-establishing a regular sleep preparation pattern.

Oddly enough, it is likely that the more you work at trying to establish sleep, the less likely it is to occur due to the attention and mental application that the issue is being given. Preparation for sleep, I believe, has to be planned ahead and then the plan 'mindlessly' followed. The less attention that you give to each nights preparation, the more effective will be the process of preparation. The process should become a habit to be followed without attention. This means that you remain aware of what is going on around you and can raise your level of alertness, but only if the need arises.

Using the ideas already offered, it may also be worth considering a carefully chosen, prescribed and monitored sleep assist medication. Or possibly even, a low dose of an anti-depressant, if you feel that anxiety may be a contributing factor with the sleep issue. Neither of these should prevent you from attending to the children as required. In low dosages, they should also be easy to reduce and discontinue as your sleep patterns improve. I know this from personal experience. For this, a doctors guidance and assistance would be required.

If you feel that there are any other factors that are influencing your sleep patterns, that people offering suggestions may take into account, please let us know.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Addendum: {Links can be accessed directly from this note.}

Extract from:  https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/find-circadian-rhythm

"Although you won’t hear it tick, your body has its own clock. The physical and mental changes it causes are called circadian rhythms. Most living things have them, including animals, plants, and even some germs.

Circadian rhythms affect your sleep patterns as well as other ways your body works, like your hormones, body temperature, and eating habits. When they get out of sync, they might also cause problems with your health. They’ve been linked to different disorders including diabetes, obesity, and depression.

To get good, healthy sleep, it helps to know what keeps your body’s clock on track and what might throw its rhythm off."

heyy hello my @ArraDreaming 

sorry I missed your tag the other day , you said you had  something to tell me 

well about sleeping , there are some good advices here from @Rhye@Eve7@HenryX@Molly22 

can you think of anything that might of changed from, your usually routine , speaking to your doctor will be the best as now you are busy looking after 2 little ones 

how did you go with schooling for your little one xxx

Thanks @Rhye Feels like I am exhausting all options at the moment 😔

Thanks good points  then they say not to use tech in bed when can’t sleep - not many other options left except just lie there @Eve7 

Thanks @Molly22 one thing worth changing is the tv watching for sure - we’re chronic bedtime tv watchers 

Thanks for your great detailed response i should clarify that I am primary carer and have spent the last 6 months as stay home dad with the kids, so my partner have both taken on an equal share of dealing with the kids at night - with there being two it’s usually my partner takes ones I take the other up until now. Honestly our youngest who is nearly 1 has been the complete opposite to our oldest child, sleeps like an angel - 4yo wouldn’t sleep through the night or stay in his own bed even if you paid him 🤪

I do have the support of my partner but she tells me to put my phone down and try and go to sleep - which with all respect to her is the least bit helpful because I can’t sleep so what do I do, lay there and stare at the ceiling fan? 
Our kids both wake up at 5 like clockwork, so I just think just make it until 5 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance