Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care -- Food, salt, sugar and water

I'm interested in joining this challenge too. Trying to find new motivation. I've always been pretty healthy but have put on 16kgs since September and I feel awful. I've recently given up eating meat (mostly) to see how that might help (and for the animals). I am trying to reduce my sugar intake but I often reach for the easiest thing because I'm not a great cook. Looking forward to seeing how everyone goes and getting some inspiration. (P.s. this is my first ever post - Hi)

Welcome to the forums @SharpMindBPD !
You'll find that all in all we're a pretty friendly mob. Good nutrition is a great starting point for better mental health. I've found sugar is one of the biggest problems. So many pre-prepared foods contain a lot of sugar so I make most of my food the old-fashioned way, doing everything from scratch.

Hello @SharpMindBPD and welcome to the forum

even just haveing one sugar in tea or coffee makes the differnce instead of 2 teaspoons

bit by bit my friend xx

also add drinking more water helps too

@Kurra, I have never made jam before , very interesting

It's not hard @Shaz51 and quite cheap if you can buy your fruit at roadside stalls in bulk. 🎶💕

I am trying to make more things from scratch because I also have to avoid wheat and lactose. I have already cut all sugar out of tea and coffee, and actually enjoying it more now. I just need to be more organised and meal prep more I think. Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Hello @SharpMindBPD

I have Kidney disease stage 4 --I have only one kidney and it is working at 24% and now i have borderline Diabetes as well

this is great , maybe we can share reciepes too xx

Someone started a recipe thread a long time ago
It's on the Enjoying time with others section but I don't recall the name. I'll go digging.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm 'fine' @Shaz51, are you ??? 💗

@Shaz51 those suggestions sound like a great start! I have a sweet tooth and am trying to stay away from processed foods. Ice was a good snack deterrent but now that the cold weather I s setttling in, not so much. With water, I had colleagues who would buy these 2.5L water bottles from the chemist and that would save them from multiple trips to the kitchen at work. I believe the term was 'gym junkies' and lunch would be 11am with chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice - without seasoning. It may not be terribly appetising but it sure was inspiring to watch them eat that and little else for days on end.

Glorianna
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance